Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Going to the Fair

      It's that time of year when county fairs are happening all around.  As an advocate of trying things that one has never done, this week I'm doing something I've always had a hankering to do.  I'm entering some things in the Denver County Fair.



     I was born and raised in Denver, so entering the county fair has a special appeal.  For one thing, city girl that I am, my roots are in the country.  My parents both came from small towns and rural climes.  Dad was raised on a farm.  Both my Grandmothers were prize winners at their respective county fairs in Pennsylvania and I spent many summers watching them prepare for the big events.  It's sort of a family tradition to enter the fair. 
     Another aspect of this is that the Denver County Fair is very new; this is only it's second year.  The plans for a fair for Denver County were scrapped in the mid 1800's because of the Civil War and then in the midst of all the boomtown, go-west-young-man activities, it never got back on track.
       Until last year.  Some very clever and dedicated folk, including Fancy Tiger Crafts  decided to get it going for real and the inaugural year was a fun, if somewhat under appreciated start.  The Denver County Fair has many of the traditional things one would expect at such an event including exhibits, prizes, animals (mostly small, some exotic, and no pigs!), a carnival, and music.   It also has some edgier urban aspects that make it unique among county fairs in the state.  Some of my favorite artists will be there like Phil Bender  and the artists from Zip 37,  plus there is a Geek Pavilion (geek, not Greek), a Holistic Pavilion, a Green Pavilion, to say nothing of the moustache and beard competition, the Steampunk fashion show, a zombie pageant, and the speed texting contest.   I'm really looking forward to getting more information on urban homesteading, a topic I'm growing more and more passionate about.  There's definitely some tongue-in-cheek stuff going on but all in the spirit of a good time and of celebrating the diversity that is Denver.

   
     So what am I entering?  Well not honey or zinnias.  Actually I'm not sayin' until the ribbons are handed out, just in case I know some of the judges.  Denver really does feel like a small town sometimes.  I promise to show and tell all once the deal is done.  Some of you will be surprised at what I enter, some of you won't.  I'm not entering one stitch of knitting, I can tell you that.  And I'll be very surprised if I get a ribbon.  Since the events are open to all residents of Colorado, the competition could be pretty daunting in some of them.  Wish me luck.  Just by entering I've already got the fun part in the bag.  And there will be pie at the fair!

4 comments:

  1. Darn...I just wrote a comment...lost it because I was too excited to go back and read one more thing from your post. So...here I go again. First....I wish you luck on your entry(s). Being a country girl at heart...my teen years were spent on the Plains of Eastern Co...I feel so connected to Colorado. It's great that the Denver County Fair is being recreated. Wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could go to the fair together,too. Wouldn't that be fun?

      Delete
  2. Sounds fun Cheryl! Can't wait to hear what you entered and how you"faired", ha!
    I know it won't be the beard & mustache, or the zombie pageant......maybe the texting contest? Sheryl H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a real veteran of the fair scene so you know how exciting it is. I love the anticipation. How many Blue ribbons do you have? Oodles that I can think of.

      Delete